Your online privacy
About the job
A better internet is possible, one that empowers people to choose how their personal information is used. This might seem daunting, or even impossible, but at Proton, building this better internet is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, use end-to-end encryption that gives our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton is making privacy universally accessible to more than 50 million registered users, including journalists, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 30 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens use our products so they can choose who, if anyone, sees their information. Join us at one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies, we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
As a Product Manager on our Growth Team, you will lead the building and scaling of products to supercharge our acquisition and engagement efforts. You will work closely with data, engineering, design, and marketing stakeholders to drive the execution of key growth projects across the portfolio of our products. You will help prioritize projects, assess their potential impact, plan them effectively, and directly manage their execution. Together with the tech team leads, you’ll scale and structure the team to cover growth projects across all platforms (web, mobile, and desktop).
If you’re a results-driven product owner or product manager, feel comfortable taking initiative, and thrive in a fast-paced environment, this is a great opportunity to play a pivotal role in a fast-growing company. You will have a concrete impact on the future of the business as a whole.
Preferred locations are listed on the position but we will also consider strong applicants from other European countries.
What You Will Do
- Identify growth opportunities and define product vision and strategy to build new cross-platform products, such as referrals, onboarding, activation, and lifecycle
- Convert business requirements into detailed specs for growth features and initiatives, and project manage the delivery of all these in collaboration with engineering, from ideation to production
- In collaboration with the growth and the other product teams, prioritize growth engineering projects based on their potential impact and available resources
- Proactively identify, monitor, and solve issues using SQL; spec out solutions with engineers; and ensure the timely execution of fixes
- Build new processes, optimize existing processes, and completely replace broken processes
- 5+ years of experience creating customer-facing products as a product owner or manager
- Extensive experience building intuitive user experience for large feature sets on multiple platforms
- Strong empathy for customers and an unwillingness to compromise on user-centred design
- Track record of building successful products using data, customer feedback, common sense, and/or machine learning
- Experience working closely with internal technical teams, including engineering and development
- Strong project and program management skills, with the ability to thrive in a high-growth, fast-paced startup environment, setting objectives, and ruthlessly prioritizing activities based on impact
- Excellent written and spoken English, communication, and leadership skills
- Strong preference for experience both in B2C and B2B products on web and mobile in a SaaS setup
Why you should join Proton
- Be part of a movement – Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us.
- Work with smart and dedicated people – Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
- Join a strong brand – Our encrypted email service – Proton Mail – has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
- Grow with us – We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
- Have your voice heard – We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
Proton uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for a more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. Keep in mind that you will receive emails from the email address email@example.com or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain. Due to recent scams, please be careful with any suspicious emails pretending to be Proton team and forward them to firstname.lastname@example.org Proton will never ask for payments from candidates.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.
By applying to a role at Proton, you acknowledge that we will process and store your personal data for at least the duration of the hiring process and as necessary to enter a contractual relationship with you.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com