Nature's ingredients ...sustainably produced
Do you want to be a part of a vibrant biotech start-up and drive the transition to a more sustainable world?
Founded in 2012 and located in Copenhagen, Denmark, Biosyntia is a thriving biotech start-up dedicated to delivering sustainable fermentation processes for the production of natural ingredients. Using proprietary bioengineering technologies, we accelerate the development of microbial cell factories to a level previously unattainable.
To strengthen our scale-up and production activities, we are seeking an experienced process engineer to lead the production of our natural ingredients. The ideal candidate is passionate about fermentation, has a distinguishable track record from within production, and is an expert in upstream and downstream processing.
The successful candidate will be anchored in our commercial department, which today is managed by our CEO. The candidate will operate independently to ensure a successful scale-up and full-scale production of our ingredients. The candidate will be fully integrated into our dynamic highly international team of more than20 talented employees spanning from strain engineers, fermentation scientists, analytical and downstream processing chemists as well as business developers, who all are essential for the company to successfully drive our projects towards scale-up, production and commercialization.
Responsibilities and tasks
You will be responsible for securing the production of our ingredients at specification, in time and at budget. Among other tasks, this will include the identification of CMOs, successfully executing the scale-up from lab to production scale and the continued optimization of our production processes. Eventually, we may be building our own production site. You will not have direct reports, but will work together with colleagues in business and process development to succeed on your goals. We have an ambitious product development plan, why there is the potential for the candidate to eventually be building and leading our manufacturing department.
Primary areas of responsibility are expected to be:
- The identification of CMOs, the establishments of relationships and the closing of production contracts.
- The scaling of our novel processes at the CMO sites.
- The management and optimization of our production processes at the CMO sites.
- Capacity and production planning.
- COGS modelling for existing and pipeline ingredients.
- Participation in the process of ensuring regulatory and certification approvals are in place, including elements such as supply chain transparency to customers. Responsibility could involve ensuring order fulfilment.
- Stakeholder management, strong interaction between sales, business development, regulatory, QA/QC and R&D.
Qualifications of the ideal candidate
You have a proven track record in fermentation-based production of small molecules for use in food and/or beauty industry, this includes experience in bringing new processes into production as well as optimizing existing processes. You have a strong technical understanding of fermentation and unit operations used in downstream processing. An entrepreneurial mindset is required, and you thrive in a highly dynamic environment with changing demands. Clear communication and stakeholder management skills are a must.
We are looking for someone with:
- A minimum of 10 years of industry experience, primarily within fermentation-based production of ingredients, secondary metabolites and/or small molecules.
- Proven track record in production at third-party CMOs sites.
- Successful management of projects in a matrix organisation.
- An MSc or PhD in chemical engineering, biotechnology or related field with experience in both fermentation and product recovery.
- Experience in regulatory approvals, QA/QC and food approval.
- A strong understanding in process and plant design.
- A large industry network to leverage in succeeding in the role.
- Flexibility and capability of quickly adapting in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate across teams in strain development, fermentation science, analytical chemistry, marketing and sales.
Biosyntia is a world leader in natural ingredients. You will be part of a team disrupting an established industry by bringing novel fermentation processes to life – while making a tangible impact on creating a better and more sustainable world. Your job will be challenging and involve a great deal of responsibility, but accompanied by a lot of learning in an international environment. We aim towards creating an environment of excellence, innovation, and positive spirit. The vacancy is a permanent full-time position with location at Biosyntia’s premises in Copenhagen. Regular travel to CMOs and production sites is expected.
For specific questions to the job position, please contact CEO, Martin Plambech.
Deadline: July 15. Initial evaluation round in August.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org